Wednesday, September 29, 2021

A Lesson In Life

 In 1941, as a trusting, naïve high school graduate, I came to the distant

city to live with my sister and her husband.  I was only with them a few

months when they were transferred to another state.  So, I settled in with a

girl I worked with, sharing a room, two meals a day with the landlady.  Not

a bad arrangement.  I liked my work in a downtown store, was quite content.

I met a few people and was pleased when a new stock boy happened to be

from my hometown.  In fact, his family lived on the same dusty road, just a

short distance from my home.  We talked a bit, just small talk.  After a few

weeks he asked me for a date.  It was to be a double with his older brother,

his car.  We were going dancing.

The night finally came.  There was a full moon.  The twinkling stars

gave my spirits a lift.  Fresh spring breezes completed the scene.  The dance

hall was an old weather-beaten building several miles from city limits.  I had

never been to one before, didn’t know what to expect.  Inside was just as

drab as outside.  Tables and chairs circled the outer wall leaving a large

floor for dancing.  In one corner was a small counter where chips, pretzels,

cigarettes, ice, and such were sold.  There was the nickelodeon.  It had some

good records.  The policy was bring your own bottle.  I had a couple of rum

cokes, leaving the heavier drinking to the others.  I didn’t notice much

around me, the dancing was nice.

So went the evening – enjoyable enough.  The ride home was another

story.  His hands became quite groping in a way I was not accustomed to.

Holding hands was a necessity and even that not totally successful since his

strength was greater than mine. “No” and “Stop” were about all I could say.

I was angry and scared.

Brother could hear what was going on.  His admonition was “Leave her

alone.  Can’t you hear – she said NO. “  It fell on deaf ears, no let up.

Brother took control of the situation.  He stopped the car, got out, opened

the back door and pulled my date out.  One strong jab to the chin and he was

out cold.  Brother pulled him off the road, through the dry drainage ditch,

into the field.  He returned to the car.

While this was going on, Brother’s date started to mouth off, accusing

Brother of having his eye on “that one” all night, ignoring her.  Brother

opened the door.  With a well directed tap he quieted her.  Then he opened

the back door.  I was terrified.  What would happen to me?  I held my

breath.  My fears were calmed a bit.  He lifted his date from the front seat,

placed her in the back, folded his jacket to cushion her head which he placed

in my lap.  He assured me that she was not really hurt and would come to

about the time we reached my home.  That was the longest two miles I have

ever ridden.  I was trembling with fear.  What would his next move be?  I

didn’t even know him.  My eyes had already seen more than I could ever

imagine possible.  Two people knocked out cold.  Would I be next?  Would

he try to take over where he had stopped his brother?

I was so glad to see city lights and even happier to reach my front door.

I was still shaking and not sure of anything.  Brother opened my door,

gently removed his date’s head from my lap so I could get out.  She was

starting to stir a bit.  He walked me up the walk to the door, put his hand on

my arm, apologized for his brother’s actions.  He added for himself, “I’m

sorry things turned out this way.”  He told me that he’d take his date home,

then return for his brother.

I let myself in, carefully locking the door.  Needless to say, I slept very

little that night.  I felt I had aged fifty years.  I knew that I had a faithful

guardian angel.  I really put him to the test.  I thank God he was there for

me.

I never saw Brother again.  As for my date, he worked second floor.  I

was in the basement.  Our paths did not often cross.  When they did, we

ignored each other.  Life goes on and so helped restore my faith in my

fellow man.

No comments: