Wednesday, September 29, 2021

They’re Still Close To Me My Mother

 We were not a demonstrative family.  I have no memories of kissing, or

hugging, not even a simple “I love you.”  But we didn’t need to express it –

our very life was expression of love, centered around family.  My childhood

was in the “big depression” days.  Money was scarce, times hard. But we

never were hungry, never cold.  We were happy.  We moved often, so never

had the same friends for long.  I have some good memories, had some good

times.  The time of this story was my eleventh year.  We had an annual class

picnic.  For a couple of years my Mother had made cookies as my

contribution.  This year, she was sick and had me buy them.  The nun was so

upset because she expected my Mother’s delicious homemade treats.  I went

off alone, hid behind a tree and cried my heart out.  I didn’t really

understand why I was so hurt.  Perhaps some inner feeling, I was too young

to know.  Several days later, my Mother was taken to the hospital.  She went

into a coma, two weeks later, she died.  I had a very hard time accepting

this.  I couldn’t talk about it because I couldn’t see any connection of my

feelings with my loss.  I guess I withdrew into my own little shell.  I became

very sarcastic, cried easily.  Time heals most hurts and this was no

exception.  I grew into a typical young adult with a normal life.

My last and most vivid recollection of Mother was about twelve years

later.  I was married with two sons, one eighteen months, the other two

months.  One night I was awakened from a sound sleep.  I heard someone

calling “Patsy, Patsy”.  It frightened me because my Mother was the only

one who called me that.  I got up, went to the boys’ room.  The oldest was

all right, but the baby was tightly caught up in his blankets.  He was okay

but, if I had not moved the blanket from his head, I don’t think he could

have made it through the night.

It is so reassuring to me to know that even though I can’t see her, my

Mother still watches over me.  And, she has taken some of the sting from

death.

No comments: