Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Cowboy and Snow Horses

 ‘Twas a bright winter’s day and the wind was blowing cold

When a fine young boy with adventure in his soul

Looked to the highest of the mountains of snow –

Decided to make that his bucking bronco.


He climbed to the top – dug in for a saddle.

“Giddy-up, giddy-up!” The peak he did straddle.

He bounced and bounced and his thoughts did run wild –

As a herd of wild horses through the mind of the child.


Then, all of a sudden, as all riders know,

He made a wrong bounce and rolled off in the snow!

Now the little boy was furious indeed –

To think he had trusted that bouncing steed.


He’d shared with him an imaginary whirl,

Now he had to call for the help of a girl!

For though he tried with all of his might,

He could make no headway up the mountain of white.


“Mommie, I’m stuck, I can’t get out!’

The little boy cried and began to shout.

Now the mother was listening to his shouts of glee –

She knew immediately there was an emergency!


For the boy was fearless, he never cried.

Thank God, now he did – for she’d never have spied

That poor lost guy in his snowy nook

Without his voice to make her look.


“Don’t be afraid, my son, don’t cry.

I’ll help you out, just let me try.

I’ll get my boots and get my coat –

I’ll climb that snow like a mountain goat!”

Now the boy’s tears had stopped for a while,

When she could see his face – he’d even smile.

For mommie was here to rescue him,

To get him out of this mess he was in.


Now mom reached the top and there she found

The snow in the back was as fluffy as “down”.

The more she tried to find a grip,

There more she’d sink, the more she’d slip.


She told the boy when she reached his hand,

“Climb right up – as best you can.”

He had no trouble with a hand to hold,

Right over the top, he reached his goal.


Down on his back, he slid all the way.

With a hearty laugh, he resumed his play.

Now this should be the end of my story –

A rescue – complete – in a blaze of glory.


But alas and alack – I’m afraid it’s not so.

For now it becomes a tale of woe.

It didn’t take much effort to set my babe free,

But it took much more to liberate me.


I was in the soft snow up to my knees –

By now my hands were starting to freeze.

My fingers turned into immovable claws,

At best, I could say they were a couple of paws.


If I could put my foot where it would not sink,

I stood, for a moment, and tried to think.

I tried to lift myself with strength anew,

But all I did was lose my shoe!


I had a shovel that I could not hold –

Could not bend my fingers cold.

Look as I would – all I could see

Was a baby’s face turned up to me.


Eyes full of trust and confidence,

Yes – that was all that made good sense.

He was caught in this mess the same as me

But never once got panicky –


For he raised his eyes to the One above,

Knew he’d be helped by the hand of love.

So I followed the example of the child of three,

Thank you, Dear God, for helping me.

No comments: