Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Mama’s Cleaning Spree

 When Mama goes on a cleaning spree

There’s nothing safe but you and me.

All our clothes and all our toys

Have found their way to other boys.

When Mama’s in her cleaning mood,

She’d grab a broom and I’d be shooed

Out to the other side of town –

I didn’t want to hang around

To see my treasures disappear –

The things I’d saved for nearly a year –

My baseball bat, all cracked and splintered –

And my baseball glove that the ball indented –

A football that was much too soft –

A kite that wouldn’t stay aloft –

My favorite sneaks that I outgrew –

Somehow I guess I always knew,

They’d find their way to the city dump,

But I just can’t help getting a great big lump.

When I came home, ‘twas to a room like new –

Space in the closet, an empty drawer or two,

Just calling out for a new collection –

I cast my eyes in every direction –

And I could see around every bend,

The makings of a brand new friend –

More treasures to keep within my room

‘Til Mama comes in again with her broom.

No comments: