Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Stolen Power

 ‘Twas just another day and close to time to close

When a customer came in, said, “Goodness knows –

Someone might trip on that wire in the hall,

Not a very safe thing at all.”

I looked out the door, and to my surprise –

I could hardly believe my own two eyes!

From our electric outlet there was a running cord

To some work in the street – I said, “Oh – My Lord!”

My customer had said that someone might trip –

She didn’t know ‘twas me who would slip –

Out came the plug at the tip of my toe.

And I stood there waiting for the next blow.

A young man came in to restore his power –

But I stood tall – over him I did tower.

“What are you doing? “  I glared from the door.

As he bent down, took the cord from the floor.

He was bold and brassy, showing no shame,

As on his boss’s shoulders he placed the blame.

“Oh”, he replied, “It’s okay,

My boss told me to.”

“Your boss has no right, this thing to do –

It’s my power you’re using – I’m paying the bill!

It’s just plain stealing, call it what you will.”

I mellowed a bit, said, “Go ahead.”

Though really, I was still seeing red.

But when across the street I saw him lay

His cord – I screamed at him – “NO WAY!”

Like a broken record, his one reply,

“My boss told me” – That I didn’t buy.

My dander was up and I was steaming –

I was on the street, and I was screaming.

By now I was most out of control,

But adrenaline kept me standing bold.

“You’ll pay for that and you’ll pay dear.

You’ll pay now – Do you hear?

I want ten dollars – you know you were wrong –

I want ten dollars now!  Then go back where you belong!”

He gave me the ten – but this tale’s not done.

When my story’s well known, then I will have won.

No comments: