Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Over The Backyard Fence

 I’ve been at this same address almost

twenty-five years.  I’m sharing some

neighborhood happenings, overheard

conversations, and some drifting back

into my long gone days.


Welcome, Neighbor.

Come visit with me.

Hi, Neighbor!  Have you heard?  Debbie
had her baby.  A fine boy.

Small Town, U.S.A.

City born — and city bred,
Urban scenes deep in my head –
To small town life I could adjust,
If my instincts I would trust.

My infant son, just two days old,
Getting fussy for me to hold.
His young sister, unaccustomed to being apart from me,
Putting on a show for me to see.

I was so happy to be home once more,
But a little frightened by what was in store.
Into these thoughts, a knock I heard,
In an unknown voice, a friendly word,

“Hello, though we did not actually meet,
I’m your neighbor from down the street.
I thought that perhaps you might
Appreciate your supper for tonight.”

I could not hide my great surprise,
The tears welled up into my eyes.
This act of kindness was heaven-sent,
Surpassed only by the casserole’s scent.

The warmth of this neighborhood will always be
Deep in my loving memory.

No comments: