Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Out Of The Blue

 The mailman came right up to my door –

Gave me the mail – ‘twas junk – nothing more.

I opened the envelopes – put them in a pile –

They were heading for the circular file.


I was kind of depressed – just sat there –

When I heard a voice – I don’t know from where –

“I’d love to help you, to show that I care –

But for me to do this – you must also do your share.”

Now I sat there, stunned by what I heard –

From whence had come this awesome word?


There came to mind, a story of old

Of a man in a flood – as it has been told –

In swirling waters, he clung to a tree.

Praying, “Oh, God, please save me.”

Boats came twice – but he said “No,

The Lord will provide a way to go.”

He drowned, and when the Lord he did see,

He said, “Lord, why did You not help me?”

As he stood beside Heavens’ Pearly Gate

The Lord said to him, “My friend, wait –

Twice I sent help – and twice you said no –

My help is often disguised – this you should know.


Somewhere deep inside, I knew what was meant,

Too many hours I had uselessly spent.

God gave me these feelings – put them in my brain –

I had put them on paper and there they remain,

Stacked on the table and out of sight –

Unable to reach out to someone who might

Be helped by something that has happened to me,

Or encouraged to open their eyes to see

More of God’s beauty in our universe –

Or to make them aware that things could have been worse.

Simple pleasures are there for the taking

For nature is just God’s way of making

A gift to us – for all to enjoy

To lift our spirits, like a child with a toy –

And with the same gift, to make us aware

That at times there will be darkness and sorrow there

But always to follow – smiles, and sunny skies –

Thank you, Oh, Lord, for opening my eyes.

No comments: