Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Teenage Self-Importance

 I stood in awe at what I saw,

The teenage girl was with her Ma –

Able bodied and healthy was she –

But she said to her Mom, “Do it for me.

Tuck in my blouse – tie my shoe.”

Which Mom obediently started to do.

I surprised myself, and the others, too

When I bellowed out – “Don’t touch that shoe!”

With finger pointed to enforce my word,

I turned to the girl – Surprised as she heard,

“Tie it yourself!  How old are you?

You’re acting like a child of two.

On merit of my age, I stand –

I’d like to shout through all the land

Respect your Mom and love her, too –

Some day she may be taken from you.

It’s doing for her that will bring happiness.

Demanding attention – ‘less I miss my guess –

Puts you back in the age bracket of two

When nothing much is expected of you.

That means - no decisions – no choices – no gain –

For you’re even too young to use your brain.

When you’re wrapped up in yourself, what’s in it for me?

You suddenly wake up – too late – to see

Life is so empty – so alone – so cold –

Before you know it – you feel so old.

So take heed – my friend – before it’s too late,

Take these priorities – and set them straight.

No comments: